Not something that you want to do…..or is it?
Your momma told you to stay away from fire, didn’t she?
- She told you not to play with matches.
- She told you to be nice.
- She told you to make sure you had a way to go back.
Ahhhhhhhh!!!!…but that’s not the same as burning the bridge, is it?
Being smart about it and knowing there are many OTHER bridges is the key.
This time I’m begging you…if there is a bridge that needs to be burned, bring along the gasoline and a blowtorch.
I’ve burned my fair share of bridges. I can still smell the smoke and see the fire burning on some of them. All of them needed to be burned because they led to dangerous places and kept me from moving forward.
Sometimes there are just places you NEVER want to go back to as an artist,and those are the bridges I want you to burn. Think long and hard about them – don’t just burn for the sake of burning. You need to do this right.
Think about it…when is it good to burn bridges?
- When the bridge is going to or coming from….somewhere you never want to go or need to go.
- When you don’t need that escape route. When you have lots of other choices.
- When you don’t care about what’s behind you.
- When the danged bridge just needs to be burned so the boogies don’t follow you.
What’s holding you back from being the best you can possibly be? Answer these questions:
- What can you get rid of?
- What’s holding you back?
- What’s interfering?
- What’s making life miserable?
- What’s keeping you up at night?
- What’s annoying you?
BURN IT. YOU MUST.
Just burn, baby….burn. Take the heat…watch the flames, roast a few marshmallows or maybe a weenie or two. Don’t stick around too long. Don’t look back.
Just remember – There are always s’more bridges ahead….and a few more weenies….and a lot more matches if you need ’em.
AND…you’re an Artist with a capital “A”. You know how to MAKE STUFF.
Make a new bridge if you need it.
You’re on your way.