- 5 Daily Gratitudes
- Press Room
I am pretty sure that it was the morphine and anaesthetic that kept me up all night after my surgery, but as I was lying in my hospital cubicle 6 hours after coming out of surgery, I realized that there were images dancing in my head. Ones that I should not keep to myself. Having been surgically altered forever, my “outside” was never going to be the same, but my inside was still dancing, singing and yearning to be free.
Being the optimist that I am, I had a sketchpad and pencil on the table next to me, even though I’d been told I may not be able to move my hand or arm for days afterwards. Leaning against the rails that kept me from falling out of the bed, I sketched away, and was able to sleep, and sketch five times during that long night.
I realize a week later as I drag my painful self around the studio, that the pain medication made this totally possible, but I’m encouraged to think of some new possibilities for paintings in the upcoming months. The lovely night nurse that kept checking on me told me the story of her son and his fiancé, a similar love story to that of Kevin and I.…so I created one for her too…but it’s with her now. I found these simple pieces to be the most personal pieces I’ve done to date.
Creativity gives us hope, a vision and ultimately — a goal. We should never be afraid to express ourselves, no matter the situation we find ourselves in.Pin It
If you enjoyed this article, please consider sharing it!
Subscribe to blogposts & newsletter via email:
Support Independent Art Projects
- Rock the Boat! One Artist’s Experience in Haida Gwaii
- PRESS RELEASE :: Cenovus Art Competition — Janice Tanton’s “Spirit Horse Lodges” Purchased
- Three MUST WATCH Art Videos — James Gurney, Monkey Farter, & John Cleese
- Getting Your Hands Dirty — Stay Forever Young, Artist!
- The New Normal — How Three Organic Pears Beat Chemo, My Way!
- 5 Daily Gratitudes (2)
- Art (34)
- Art Biz & Arts Leadership (34)
- Art Opportunities (2)
- Art Tips & Techniques (29)
- Artist's Dirty Little Secrets (1)
- Blog (130)
- CAMP (15)
- Community Fusion Project (9)
- Film & Books (9)
- Gettin' Your Geek On (1)
- Grace Quote of the Day (34)
- Home (47)
- In The Galleries (20)
- In The Studio (33)
- On The Easel (23)
- Paintings (22)
- Plein Air Painting (3)
- Press Room (15)
- The Cancer Chronicles (4)
- The Residency Chronicles (12)
- Virtual Salon (1)
- Workshops (10)